These salads feature is the crunch of the parmesan breadcrumbs – perfect with the fresh lettuce leaves, aromatic fennel, and salty capers. it’s a combination that goes well as a side to fish, grilled vegetables, halloumi cheese… or just on its own. My ideal way to eat it would be along with some marinated bbq sardines and an ice-cold beer or glass of white wine – preferably with the sun shining.
100g mix-leaf salad
1 fennel + fennel tops
1 tbsp capers
1/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
2 large tbsp grated parmesan cheese
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Squeeze lemon juice
Sea salt and pepper
1. Slice fennel as thin as you can, squeeze some lemon juice and a sprinkle of salt over the fennel and set aside while you prepare the rest of the salad. Reserve tops for garnish.
2. Wash lettuce and dry well (preferably with a salad spinner).
3. Rough chop capers.
4. In a small frying pan, dry roast breadcrumbs on a low heat until they start to brown, then add grated parmesan and immediately remove from the heat. Stir the mixture so cheese covers breadcrumbs evenly. The cheese will melt quickly and breadcrumbs should be stuck together. Set aside to cool, and then with a knife chop crumbs into small pieces.
5. Mix oil, vinegar, a squeeze of lemon juice, salt and pepper together and beat with a fork.
6. To assemble the salad: In a bowl mix lettuce and fennel together. add chopped capers followed by the salad dressing, mix together well. To finish sprinkle with parmesan breadcrumbs and reserved fennel tops.