Nothing reminds me more of summer and holidays than seafood pasta. Its always the most appealing thing on the menu when sat outside in warm weather, or dining and watching the sun go down. This is adelicious Spanish pasta dish, Spaghetti with Mussels and Chorizo. The chorizo adds a lovely salty smokiness to the sauce, packing a real punch of flavour and complimenting the soft sweet mussels. Perfect washed down with a beer or glass of cold white wine.
Spaghetti with Mussels and Chorizo
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 large tomato, shopped into small pieces
200ml white wine
1kg mussels, beards removed and scrubbed clean
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
2 tbsp finely chopped parsley
Salt and pepper
1. Boil pasta until al dente.
2. Chop chorizo into small thin strips and fry in a little olive oil until just crispy. Remove from pan and set aside (discard cooking fat).
3. In a large saucepan, fry crushed garlic and chilli flakes for 1 minute, be careful not to burn. Next add the wine and tomatoes, bring to the boil, then turn to simmer until reduced by half, crushing tomatoes into sauce.
4. Next add your cleaned mussels, return to high heat. When bubbling away, place a lid on top and return to simmer. Mussels should take approx. 5 minutes to cook. They will add delicious cooking juices to the sauce.
5. Once all the mussels are open and cooked through, add pasta, chorizo, parsley, salt and pepper and combine ingredients gently. Keep simmering long enough until all ingredients are heated through. Serve.